Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Operation A-hab, Day 7: Crazy heat wave keeps the fishing slow, but summer alive

The Midwest heat wave continues. Temperatures in the mid to upper 90s all this week. Feels a lot more like July than the end of August. Not much luck with the Rat-L-Trap or spinnerbaits; spoons have been generating the most interest.

Big Missy is out there still...I choose to believe.

I've actually found some contention to this on-line, but as far as I can tell, the official world record northern pike, in terms of poundage, was caught in Germany in 1986 - 55 lbs., 1 oz.

As most large pike are female, I've named the one I'm after Big Missy. She's nowhere near as big as the world record, nor the North American record holder for that matter, landed in 1940; 44 pounds. I'd say this girl, judging only by the power with which she ripped out my drag and the glimpse I got of her below the surface of the water just before she bit through the line, is around three feet in length, possibly a bit more. Poundage, I have no idea. I do not know how weight correlates to length when it comes to these animals, but judging from other trophy fish posted on-line, maybe between 15 and 20 pounds? I only know it seemed her size was as much about girth as it was length.

I also know how exhilarating it was to set the hook and realize something major was on the line. I joke about wanting my lure back, but the truth is, I just want something to smash my lure again. I can't really wrap my head around fighting 55 pounds! Every week, I go into work and hoist a couple dozen 30-pound bales of flour onto a floor pallet, and though I'm in fairly good shape, that is an exhausting haul. It's hard to imagine the level of endurance required to pull something that weighs in at virtually two of those out of the depths, and is pissed off to boot.

To speak nothing of a certain intimidation being in the presence of such a lunker. The juveniles I've caught this summer have had the fight and impressive teeth the species is known for. But gigantic pike are truly prehistoric looking animals, freaky if you stare at one long enough, and that, to me, is the most amazing thing about predatory fish species, from pike and musky on up to the great white shark: how little they've changed - how little they've had to change - in millions of years. Sleek and slender, efficient and purposeful.

YouTube is a phenomenal source for fishing information. Here is a great hat-cam video that depicts a pike very similar - though somewhat larger - to what I pulled to the surface of the Chippewa River three weeks ago. The video comes from Hatcams.com...which overwinter I might just have to check out for next year.


 
 
 
And here is the latest installment of my boring riverside videos, where nothing happens, or not a lot lately anyway!