Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Operation A-hab, Day 6: The Rat-L-Trap's a pretty lookin' thing, for sure...but comes up short tonight

Had to go out in the evening. Mid-day was just too hot...as in 'heat advisory' hot, so I waited. A line of severe storms came through the Chippewa Valley around dinnertime, and by six the temperature had dropped about twenty degrees, to a near-perfect 75.

I was hoping the storms would blow through quickly and be gone so I could get out and try two new lures I added to my Big Missy arsenal today; a 1/4 ounce Rat-L-Trap crank, and a Daredevil Spoon. Both are classics (the Daredevil was the first lure I ever accidentally stuck my finger with as a kid), but I'd never tried the Rat-L-Trap before, so that's the one I went with this evening.

I like it. It produces great action in the water, for my money the most realistic motion of any crankbait I've thrown, and just enough of a glimmer of chrome without being a blinding flash, at least in this evening's low(er) light conditions.

But alas, no takers.

As the sun sank below the tree line on the other side of the river, not only did it get harder to see anything, but the mosquitos - energized by the rain - set on me hardcore. But I didn't care. I just kept casting out and reeling in. Soon it was so dark I almost had to start fishing by smell. Each time I told myself it would be the last cast, and each time I was a liar. I kept going and going, casting out and reeling in, at different depths, and speeds, different retrieval patterns, out as close to the middle of the river as possible then parallel to the shoreline. I kept at it until the last drop of light had drained from the western sky.

Each new cast is ripe with the possibility of something amazing happening. That's not easy to give up, even just for the day.


UNTIL THE LAST OF THE LIGHT IS GONE