Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 1: No luck yet...

Went out about 6:30 ready for action...didn't get much. Nice conditions though...cooler than its been lately in the morning (hint of fall?)...about 60 degrees, no wind, a nice bank of fog seeming to lend this spot of the Chippewa River some remoteness, even as it's flowing through a city of 65,000. I forgot to mention in my last post that I caught a northern in this very spot about two weeks ago. He was just a feisty adolescent. Not much to him. But related?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure that what I'm hunting is a northern. It looked like one for the short time I could see it; the duck bill, especially, narrows the field of possibility. It could be a musky, or a pickerel...but the coloration and the markings really cried northern pike.

This morning's quiet fishing left me with plenty of time to think, and I've decided that if by some miracle I land this bad boy (probably 'bad girl' in actuality, for its size...), and if it meets any size regulations, of course, I'm going to try to have it mounted with that lure still in its mouth.