Thursday, September 5, 2013

Operation A-hab, Day 9: Someone's catching something somewhere, and that's good news

Man, the fishing's been just abysmal the last week or so! I'm inclined to think it's bad joojoo left over from my last post. I really got to watch those dark moods; I think the fish may be feeding off them.

In reality, our late August heat wave coupled with an abundance of natural food is doubtless the reason for the slow fishing. I started focusing on northerns about a month ago, and I was catching some nice juveniles early on. Now, without changing my methods, nothing.

Someone I know knows someone who pulled a 51 incher from the Chippewa Flowage, which is up north, near Hayward. That's quite a fish, considering the world record pike is 55 inches. I'd have practiced a token skepticism upon hearing that story (which has all the makings of a natural born fish tale), but I saw a picture of the animal too, and I'm man enough to admit I felt a little twinge of envy.

Mostly, though, I felt a renewed motivation. Eventually fall will come, the air and water temperature will drop, and the pike that most likely have moved to deeper, cooler water will find their way back into the relative shallows.

I did have a mighty fine smallie on the line tonight. I thought I set the hook securely, but when he jumped out of the water he managed to wriggle off. Frustrating, but the best part of fishing is the strike, the set, and the fight. I just wish I had a picture.

Instead, here's a visual sampling of what I've been catching this summer:



BLACK CRAPPIE - Probably one of the most handsome fish in local waters; beautiful markings.


SMALL BUT SCRAPPY - This little rock bass smashed a crank almost half his length. The hook embedded dangerously close to his eye, but luckily I was able to remove it without doing any damage.



LARGEMOUTH BASS - Always ready for a fight.


SMALLMOUTH BASS - This guy put up more of a fight out of the water than in.


15 POUND CRAPPIE - With a little thought to perspective when snapping a picture,
it's amazing what you can catch. ;-)


NORTHERN PIKE - One of several juveniles I've caught this summer in the same place I'm after Big Missy. Magnificent eyes!