Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Operation A-hab, Day 11: What's with the f**cking hornets!?

I haven't been out much lately; the weather hasn't been the greatest (that late heat wave was followed by a long spate of rainy mornings) and other obligations (the kind that the worst day of fishing always beats...) have gotten in the way. But seeing as today was a day off - mostly cloudy, with temps around 70 - I stole away to the Chippewa River with a new spoon and what I thought would be a good few hours hunting Big Missy.

Instead, I was immediately harassed by a swarm of yellow jackets that would not leave me alone. And this time, there was nothing funny about it, no good natured philosophy about being able to laugh at myself. I wasn't laughing. In fact, I was left pretty pissed off by my helplessness in the situation.

Late summer is when these insects start getting ballsy, and they stay that way until the first hard frost, which we have not had yet. Usually it's just one or two messing around your soda can or sandwich, and a light swat of your hand will typically keep them at bay, since inquisitive is all they are.

But today, there were several buzzing around my face constantly, flying right up to the tip of my nose with that aggressive wobble they do. I swatted them away, determined to hunt for Big Missy, to make up for the last week of inactivity, but they kept coming, buzzing past my ears, effectively chasing me up and down the riverbank. The 'attack' was so relentless, it got me retreating back to my car.

A week or two ago I lamented my struggle going up and down the stairs leading to my fishing spot after a softball game had left me stiff and sore. But there was none of that today. I bounded up those steep stairs two or three at a time with tackle box and rod in hand, and two of the bees pursued me! I waited at the top for several moments, and determinedly decided to try again. I came back down the stairs quietly, with as little noise and vibration as possible. I returned to my spot on the river and cast out, and before I had retrieved that cast completely, they were back at me, relentless. There were more now, upwards of a dozen, and I was once again sent sprinting to the top of the stairs.

But not before one of them managed to tag me on the neck.

The obvious conclusion to draw is that there's a nest nearby. But it would have been there all summer, and hornets have never been a problem until today. I noticed as I was dashing away that the trail leading down to the river has been mowed down on both sides, presumably by the city, so maybe their nest was disturbed. Moreover, I was wearing cologne - Old Spice - not exactly the surest way to avoid attracting attention. I usually wear no scent at all when I fish, not even deodorant, for the very purpose of flying under buggy radar.

But still, today's attack seemed unusual, and knowing what caused it doesn't make it any less annoying. I wound up ditching Big Missy all together, went over to Half Moon Lake, a much lamer location; well stocked with fish to be sure, but sporting little or no hope of a lunker.

And here, too, the bees would not leave me alone! There weren't any swarms, but a string of persistent individuals, one after the other, that found me too fascinating for my comfort level, especially having just been stung. I caught a little smallie (a very little smallie...) before relinquishing the day to the obvious bad energy.

Now, as I write this, I'm staring out my office window and have noticed an unusual amount of insect activity, even here, several miles from the river. Amongst the bugs buzzing past, back and forth, up and down, are numerous yellow jackets. Several have landed on my window screen, in fact, doubtless attracted by my cologne, but unable to find their way in. Ha ha...little bastards.

Though honestly I feel a little like I can't find my way out. Like I got chased inside by the neighborhood bullies. And I can only laugh at that thought so much.

Days of fishing have become too precious. Winter's out there somewhere.


NO ONE TO PLAY WITH - What started out as an enthusiastic afternoon of pike hunting ended abruptly when I was literally chased off the river by a swarm of hornets. Here, feeling a little as though I was chased inside by the neighborhood bullies, I stare forlornly out my office window, trying to figure out why they don't like me.  Er...not really, but, you know....